Christine and I

Christine and I
Father & Daughter

Monday, September 20, 2010

The first "blink"...

It has been one year, nine months and 17 days since my daughter Christine got married. A little over three years since she got engaged. I had zero experience in "marrying off" a daughter prior to that date. Since that date, we have personally seen almost 200 weddings. That's right 200. In each wedding, we get a direct full-on view of the Dad right before he walks his daughter down the aisle. A little background here: " I am one of four owners ( My wife Ditto, my sister Heather and my brother in-law, Chris-my name is Michael) of the Piazza in the Village in Colleyville, Tx. We are a wedding and reception venue about 7 miles west of DFW airport. That is why so many weddings.

Back to the "view". I open the left door. The dad and daughter are standing right in front of me. The daughter is trying to catch her breath and hold back the tears. The "dads" are most often trying to do the same. Right before the door opens, the dads usually twitch or blink for just a moment. I know that blink. I did it too. It is a "blink" of full on recognition that they are about to give away (to another man) their very precious daughter. They have prepared for it, planned for it, rehearsed it in their mind but there is nothing like this moment. This is before the tears, before the proud smiles, before the heartfelt toasts. It is a life mark. Until you experience it; you won't get it. Once you do; you will remember it and everything about that day forever.

This blog is intended for the men who will be standing next to their daughters waiting to take that walk down the aisle. The "people that are going to blink". Prior to this moment there are decisions to be made, conflicts to overcome, parties to attend, memories to make and of course, money to spend. Hopefully we can share some ideas, experience and perspective for you in the coming months that you can use.

From one Father of the Bride to another; I hope you enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment